Struggling to find the definition for a word? Simply type "define:
XXXX", where XXXX is the word you're asking about, into Google's search
For example, if you're following California gubernatorial politics you might be inclined to type "define: whore."
You'll find this is the third meaning: "compromise oneself for money or
other gains; ' She whored herself to Hollywood.' " Or, perhaps to the
police union, but I digress.
"It's really convenient, but sometimes the definitions can be
strange," Rich writes, claiming, "here are some of the words I recently
- Yahoo: A stupid Web site for stupid people who only want crap.
- Ask: A crap site for idiots.
- Bing: Just a bunch of crap.
- Monopoly: A term that idiots like to throw around to sound
smart at parties, but really they don’t know what the hell they’re
Well, OK, maybe Rich didn't let facts get in the way of a good story,
but that's the point of satirical humor, isn't it? Here are a few
more choice Google "definitions" courtesy of Rich that made me chuckle:
- Privacy: An overrated thing that people should maybe chill out about.
- Victim: A nice company that gets attacked all the time for no reason.
- Books: Something people can read online for free now.
- Computer: A thing for using Google.
You can check out the whole article at The New Yorker. I'd suggest Eric, Larry and Sergey
have a look, too. Then they might seriously ponder what motivated Rich
to write this piece in which fiction is truer than fact.