Our mantra at Consumer Watchdog is simple, but effective. Expose rip-offs and injustice. Confront the industries and politicians responsible. Change the world. Whether we’re at the Capitol, in the media, or in the courtroom, these are the strategies we use to make sure that we win justice for American consumers and taxpayers. CW's team of advocates and attorneys are some of the most effective hellraisers in the business. Do you have what it takes to join us? The faint of heart need not apply.
Salary for all positions is competitive with similar public interest organizations and the experience level sought; employer-paid health plan, dental and life insurance are provided. Consumer Watchdog also offers a generous retirement savings plan, a casual work environment and parking at our Santa Monica office.
We currently have an advocacy and an attorney position available:
KATHY OLSEN CONSUMER ADVOCATE
Consumer Watchdog seeks an excellent writer and persuasive communicator to join our team as the Kathy Olsen Consumer Advocate. The position is named in honor of a Consumer Watchdog Board Member who insipired us all with her commitment and passion in the fight for patient rights. The Kathy Olsen Consumer Advocate will be responsible for day-to-day operations of Consumer Watchdog issue campaigns. Top issues currently include health care reform, patient safety, and civic engagement. Applicants should be comfortable speaking to media, opinion leaders and the public. If you are looking for a challenge and committed to working for justice, this is the job for you.
- Manage Consumer Watchdog’s diverse health care, patient safety and civic engagement projects with guidance on strategy and goals from CW management
- Write news releases and op-ed articles; participate in interviews with print, radio and television journalists; develop media relationships
- Identify and interview consumers whose experiences illustrate the human stories behind health care and patient safety reforms
- Organize and implement media actions to draw press coverage and build support for our campaigns
- Research issues and help develop policy positions
- Prepare blogs and other material for CW’s website and social media outlets
- Represent Consumer Watchdog with testimony before legislative and regulatory bodies
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in political science, English, journalism or a related field
- Three or more years of experience with advocacy and public policy with a public interest organization, labor union, public relations firm, campaign or community group
- Exceptional strategic, analytical and persuasive communications skills
E-mail your resume with a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you should be our next hellraiser to Jodi Waxman at email@example.com. Please use the subject line “Consumer Advocate.”
VIDEO PRODUCER / GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Consumer Watchdog seeks a creative individual with strong communications skills to fill the full-time position of Video Producer/Graphic Designer at our Santa Monica headquarters. Applicants should have solid design, photography and video skills, and experience designing for print, digital and web. The perfect candidate will be comfortable creating an Adbusters culture jam, Michael Moore-style short and newsy commentary, all in the same week. Self-starters with strong problem solving skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment will thrive.
- Shoot, edit and produce video and photography for internal and external organization events
- Build graphics and page content for the organization’s various web sites
- Develop online/ social media strategy in conjunction with CW advocacy team and disseminate content on CW’s various platforms
- Develop and implement multimedia campaigns to address specific policy goals, in collaboration with CW advocacy team
- Design brochures and other printed materials as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, film, communications or related field preferred
- Two or more years of experience working in a nonprofit environment
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of applications and the Macintosh platform. Comfort working in Photoshop, Illustrator, FinalCut, InDesign – or equivalent tools – and basic HTML coding
- Passion for CW’s mission and interest in our areas of focus
E-mail your resume with a cover letter explaining your interest in Consumer Watchdog and why you think you are qualified for this position to Jodi Waxman, Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line "Video Producer."
Consumer Watchdog, a nationally recognized, California-based public interest organization, deploys an in-house team of public interest attorneys, policy experts, and consumer advocates to advance and protect the interests of consumers and taxpayers. Our work, which is spotlighted daily in the national and local media, includes advocating before the courts, regulatory agencies, and the Legislature in the areas of health care reform, insurance reform, consumer privacy, legal system reform, corporate accountability and other state and federal matters. Read more about our Legal Project here.
Consumer Watchdog’s Legal Project staff attorneys represent consumers in high-profile litigation before administrative agencies and in court on all of Consumer Watchdog’s core issues with a focus on health insurance and other insurance matters. Staff attorneys are responsible for their own case-load from the investigation stage through final resolution; tackle complex legal issues on a daily basis; and have the opportunity to work in concert with other top public interest attorneys in the state. This is a full-time position.
Candidates ideally will possess 2-3 years litigation experience, preferably in public interest or a similar organization, a demonstrated commitment to public interest law, knowledge of California insurance law and class action law, and a strong interest in consumer advocacy issues. Recent top law school grads with the necessary public interest commitment and extremely strong written and verbal communication skills will also be considered. Must be able to work independently and willing to dive into uncharted territory.
E-mail your resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in Consumer Watchdog, and a 5-10 page legal writing sample to Jodi Waxman, Operations Manager: email@example.com